I love being a tourist in my own country and one thing which I think that we do brilliantly in the USA is our attitude towards museums. I have been all over the world and not seeing museums in the same way that we do museums and these are ten which are great for the family and which will blow your child’s minds.
- Museum of 3D illusions in San Francisco – A weird and wonderful world of interactive 3D exhibits.
- Medical history museum Indianapolis – The macabre history of medicine, complete with preserved body parts and much more gory stuff
- Museum of Ice Cream San Francisco – The name pretty much explains why your kids will go bananas for this one
- The Mini Time Machine Museum of Miniatures, Tucson, Arizona – Delightful and dainty little things, from throughout history, pretty amazing
- Idaho Potato Museum – We actually came here because someone needed the toilet, ended up doing the museum and the kids absolutely loved it
- Worlds of Puppetry Museum, Atlanta, Georgia – Sesame Street, Kermit the Frog and so many other famous puppets can be found in this museum, an ideal day out for the kids
- Air and Space Museum Washington DC – Amazing museum filled with planes, space ships and all kinds of cool interactive displays which your kids are going to adore
- Greenfield Village, Dearborn, Michigan – Step back in time in this village which has been set in various stages throughout history. See the bus Rosa Parks wouldn’t stand up in and the limo where they got JFK.
- Children’s Museum Indianapolis – Half a million square feet of games, fun exhibits, enormous dinosaurs and fantasy in this incredible museum dedicated to children
- Kennedy Space Center Florida – Celebrating all things celestial is the amazing NASA museum which will completely blow your kids’ mind and inspire them no doubt to want to be an astronaut
I have been to all of these museums with the kids and they all came out absolutely buzzing with excitement and energy such was the amazing time that they had there.
Which of these do you think that your kids are going to be most likely to enjoy? Any more suggestions which I have forgotten? Please get in touch in the comments section below, I’d love to hear your thoughts on the museums in the US.